* Cats, kittens, tigers, lions, cheetahs, leopards and all manners of felines –especially when they wrinkle their eyes in contentment.
* Perfectly sunny days in the low 80s and with moderately low humidity, where the only word that can apply to the sky is "cerulean."
* The words "cerulean", "juggernaut", "smörgåsbord", and "doppelgänger."
* Knowing that everyone has a doppelgänger.
* The colors lavender and violet, and the corresponding flowers and scents.
* When a stranger smiles in a friendly manner for no reason whatsoever.
* When people remember it’s her birthday unprompted (and, well, even when prompted).
* The movie "Amèlie"
* The smell of the Metro as it wafts out of the vents and into the street.
* Receiving flowers.
* The curls on the back of Herr Meow’s head.
* Green eyes.
* Chocolate raisins.
* Friends –the in-person kind and the kind through the computer.
* A well-made chai tea, especially when the barista takes the time to make a design on the foam.
* French fried potatoes.
* The Washington Post, most of the time.
* Plants that do well. And even plants that don’t do so well.
…And Madame Meow doesn’t like,
* Cat hair everywhere.
* The feeling that every year, her birthday fills her with too much melancholy and not enough joy.
* Knowing that she shares her birthday with the Edsel.