It’s almost 5 pm and I haven’t blogged yet. I’m getting so desperate to write something today that I have done the following things:
1. Considered doing a Thursday Thirteen, even though I’m not sure that I can come up with thirteen things about anything.
2. Toyed with the idea of sharing my (very bad) pictures of flying buttresses, like this one at the National Cathedral, where we went to visit today:
3. Debated whether this would be a good time to confess that I really had no concept of what flying buttresses were all about, even though I was aware that the term existed, and it was an architectural feature.
4. Wondered whether anyone would agree with me in thinking that they look kind of pointless. Pretty, but pointless.
5. Mulled over the possibility that perhaps we would be more moved as a nation by Memorial Day if this war didn’t feel completely pointless and like it’s dragged on forever and ever, like a patient etherised upon a table.
6. Thought about Clint Eastwood, whose birthday it is today, and wondered why God made him extra awesome. Because he is the awesome, and every time I see those California commercials (which are horribly ruined by Teri Hatcher and her Disneyland bit, incidentally) I get a little misty-eyed. I do, I do. (I WANT TO FIND MYSELF THERE! WAAAH!)
7. I also thought about realizing that I do feel lucky, but I’m not so sure I’m a punk. I do feel lucky, despite not being in California, even. Washington is actually a pretty sweet place to be, especially on a beautiful day.
8. And I realized I had better wish my good friend Max P a happy birthday today. We’re the goalposts of summer, buddy; it will only be a few months until I’m old too. Mmm….. I’m calling this one the "UnThirteenth Birthday."
9. If I throw a birthday party (which is highly unlikely as I don’t throw parties, but I wish I did), I would make the theme a sort of 80s costume party, and it would be fabulous. It would be the "OMG, I turned 13 in the 80s and that is just wrong" kind of theme.
10. Turning 31 is easier than a) turning 13 or b) turning 30. Thirty was awful.
11. I find it interesting that while everyone couldn’t get enough of talking about Britney and her rehab stint et al. it seems that the Lindsay Lohan bit is turning out to be a more subdued affair. Could this be a glimmer of decency peeking through? Or is it that Lindsay Lohan is just not as fascinating overall as Britney? (and by "fascinating" I mean "abysmally stupid")
12. Sour cream and onion Ruffles are evilly good. There. I admit to eating the evil, worst-for-you kind of thing ever. But oh! It good. It gooooooooooooooood.
13. Linen wrinkles a lot, it’s true, but it’s the kind of wrinkled look you want. Trust me on this one.
Well, I shall be the aunt of a simian! There we are: thirteen morsels
of candy-confectioned nothingness to tide you over. I still cannot
believe that today is the last day of May, honestly. It seems a little
odd that the year is going by so very quickly, but yet here we all
I leave you with another picture of the cathedral which I rather like -and of course, I really like the cathedral. On a hot summery day, it’s a wonderful and quiet place to be, despite all the obnoxious gadflies talking loudly and taking pictures with flash right as you walk.
I find it interesting that churches always seem so clean and well-built and comfortable and serene and peaceful, but yet they attract all manner of people who eventually manage to make them anything but.
Enough. I shall be seeing you folks later.